2 – Position the flywheel on the adapter
3 – Install the Centering cone and hold down the bolt, then tightenAS SIMPLE AS ONE – TWO – THREE! That’s the entire set-up. The flywheel sits on a precision ground flange adapter ring assuring its position parallel to the crankshaft flange. No indicating. No guessing. No scratch test.
The FG10000 Flywheel Grinder takes work pieces up to 24″. With a table diameter of 18″ and six (6) slots in the table, you have the stability and versatility for a full range of work. The table support diameter is 15″ and the column diameter is 5.5″. The vertical head travel of the column is 8.75″ with the maximum height of the table to wheel of 10.50″. A strong, 10 horsepower grinding motor at 3,500 revolutions per minute and a 1/3 horsepower table motor at 16 revolutions per minute mean the FG10000 Flywheel Grinder is designed to do the job right.
The standard machine is available in 208 or 230 volts three phase only. Additional voltages are also available as special order. In addition, the FG10000 can be ordered with an optional PowerHead (Power Column) or with the PowerHead (Power Column) and AutoGrind TM option. The PowerHead (Power Column) relieves the operator of the manual movement of the head up and down. The PowerHead (Power Column) with the AutoGrind TM feature powers the head up and down and can be set to automatically grind the flywheel to a pre-set depth.
- » An exclusive, rugged base casting with cast-in table support. This means the table and support are all one piece solid cast material. More durability, more reliability.
- » Unlimited grinding pressure is possible without table deflection. Again, this means you can work the machine and it will give you the results you need.
- » There is an oil reservoir with an ‘Optomatic oiler’ that provides constant lubrication to the column and table support.
- » There are no thrust bearings or anti-friction materials that would require field service.
- » The direct table drive means there are no chains or belts to adjust or replace. You receive consistent torque on the table.
- » The double cam head swivel lock gives you positive head lock and is lubricated for ease in swiveling.
- » The optional AutoGrind TM is easy to set, easy to use and increases productivity. Best yet, it is reliable.
- » You can grind your own flywheels. You finish the job fast and keep all the profits.
- » You can take in flywheel grinding business and increase your profits.
- » We have found when you take in grinding jobs you increase your parts sales also.
- » Set up is fast. And it’s accurate.
- » You can grind most automotive and light truck flywheels – floor to floor – in 5-10 minutes. Heavy duty, stepped flywheels may take longer, but still profitable.
- » The FG10000 Flywheel Grinder is economical in its cost and requires minimal shop space. It is built to last, costs a few dollars per day to own and can result in stronger profits.
- » You can keep labor costs low. A skilled machinist is not required to operate the FG10000 Flywheel Grinder. It is the easiest machine to operate in your shop.
- » Operating supplies are minimal in cost.
There is a rugged cast bearing to support the 18″ table with oil reservoir and oil film. The table rotates on the cast bearing support that prevents any deflection regardless of the flywheel size and weight or the grinding pressure. The oil level is set 1/16″ above the table bearing support for constant lubrication and is maintained at all times by the unique ‘Optomatic’ constant oiler.
Hard spots and heat checks are not a problem. The entire friction surface is ground simultaneously, assuring fast, accurate results every time. Plunge grinding produces a ‘swirl’ finish and the operator has total control over the surface finish. The longer the sparkout, the smoother the finish.
The FG10000 Flywheel Grinder has a 5.5″ diameter column that is chromed and precision ground. It is constantly lubricated by a felt wick installed within the column mounting flange. The column is totally protected from grinding debris and coolant by a rubber boot.
The 1.250″ lead screw on the Van Norman Flywheel Grinders is the largest on any flywheel grinder. The heavy duty bronze lead screw nut is adjustable to take up any ‘play’ that may occur throughout the life of the machine.
The grinding head assembly is set at the factory with a .023″ rear tilt of the grinding wheel and the side-to-side setting is set at .000″ for the fastest grinding and the best surface finish. The head tilt can be set flatter for even greater grinding precision.
One-piece, 480 pound base casting. The base casting is the heaviest and most rugged in the industry. The cast-in column mounting flange is supported by heavy gussets and all the machining of the base casting is done with one set- up for maximum accuracy and perfect perpendicularity.
The column mounting flange is cast integrally for more strength, stability and perfect alignment. It has an increased diameter to properly support the massive column and the column is constantly lubricated by an internal wick.
Van Norman’s exclusive direct drive gear reduction unit is a rugged, industrial design. The heavy duty 1/4 horse power motor delivers consistent torque to the table. It requires NO maintenance because it has no chains or belts to lubricate, adjust or replace.
The exclusive cast-in table support means NO DEFLECTION – EVER! The 94 square inch table bearing support has a cast-in oil reservoir and is designed to prevent table deflection for faster, more accurate grinding and a superior finish.
Control panels are easy to use, easy to reach and simple to understand.
The FG10000 Flywheel Grinder grinds automotive and import stepped flywheels, truck flat flywheels and heavy duty truck stepped flywheels, center plates and racing clutch components. Due to it’s heavier construction and larger motor, the FG10000 is designed for a heavier production shop.
You can own the Heavy Duty Truck Brake Rotor Kit that can bring in additional profits. This kit allows you to repair commercial vehicle rotors, like those found on fire engines, ambulances, all different straight trucks, etc. It opens an additional yet related market for you to generate profits and more business for your shop.
The kit includes several different sized cones covering the most popular sides of rotors on all makes and model of larger commercial trucks. The cost or replacing these rotors is becoming more and more expensive, making it more desirable to repair them.
Everything you need to get started right away is there, including a brand new CBN Grinding wheel to cover all the various rotor materials.
The overall height of the FG10000 Flywheel Grinder is 69″ with the height to the table at 34.6″. The width is 34.5″ and the front-to-back measures 36″. The weight of the machine is 1,550 pounds. Packaged for shipping, the weight is 1,700 pounds.
The FG10000 Flywheel Grinder from Van Norman comes standard with 3 centering cone bolts, 6 centering cones, 4 flange adapters (3″ to 5.875″), 4 wheel mounting bolts, wheel spacer, 4″ & 6″ wheel mounting flange, 3 grinding wheels, star dresser, coolant pump with additive, table lubricant, leveling bolts and pads, wrenches and more.
Van Norman Flywheel Grinders are manufactured from the ground up by American craftsmen in a manufacturing facility in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.